Things seemed to have gotten a little hectic lately. I have always enjoyed blogging but have not found much time for it. I hope to not have a major lapse again but who knows. I can be lazy.
Christmas was wonderful. We had a nice Christmas Eve with my parents and siblings. I cooked my first turkey ever. My mom was to come over early to help but the turkey had other plans. Instead of cooking in 4.5 hours, it cooked in about 2 hours. Neither my mom nor I could believe it but it tasted perfect so I will just have to remember that I have a super oven that cooks twice as fast.

Matt with his Uncle Ricky
Terry and I also hosted Christmas day with his side of the family which included about 20 - 25 people. The day went off without a hitch. Everyone brought a dish and the kids behaved so well. Jack and Matt were in heaven with 10 other little ones running around. It was a great relief that Matt was not his usual clingy self.

In January Terry and I took an adult vacation to Galena, Illinois. With our parents in charge of each kid, we were able to spend three nights in a beautiful and QUIET one bedroom condo. I was really nervous leaving Matt but he seemed to do very well at my mom's. He got a lot of attention during the day and slept perfectly at night. I was happy that Matt could be the "star" for a while. Sometimes it is hard being the second born. My parents reported that he was very good, very happy and loved running around the house exploring every Christmas decoration.

Jack has been doing very well in preschool. The first few months were hard. He was very hesitant at first and refused to go to the bathroom there. I was able to observe Jack's class and saw that he was not listening and was purposely "pushing the limits" of the teachers. Jack would have good days and bad days but over the months we felt that he was enjoying school more and more. After Christmas break I noticed a real change in him. He was talking all about the new kids and I was getting notes home all the time about his "good deeds". The teachers then sent a letter telling us that he was using the bathroom all by himself, was cleaning up after himself and was now a very good listener. Terry and I were so happy and felt that another major milestone had been reached. All a parent wants is for their child to be well adjusted, do well in life and to be happy. After a few bumps in the road, I can now see he is on his way.

Matt is now almost fifteen months. He is still drooling and goes through about 5 bibs a day. On Fridays we are in a Mommy and Me class and he is the only toddler with a bib. However, he is also the only toddler not to have a meltdown or talk back to me (okay he can't talk but he wouldn't talk back if he could!). Matt seems to love this time alone with me. He literally runs around and plays with every toy he can get his hands on. He is also starting to form some words. He can sort of say "go", "down", "dad", "jack" and "crackers". This morning was the first time I heard him say "down". Before I could say anything, Jack said "Matt said down. On Sunday he could not say down but today he did. Can you believe that?" (Terry and I have been working on the days of the week with Jack so now he inserts the days into his conversations.)

Both the boys are getting so big. Jack is getting very hard to carry. He never asks to be carried but I like to. I am starting to feel him get older. He seems to need me less and less. He now goes to a friend's house without me, he plays board games and just seems to be more independent overall. On Tuesday Matt went down for a nap and Jack and I watched Barack's arrival at White House and later the swearing in ceremony. He totally gets that we have a new president and seems to understand what a momentous event this is.

Life has been changing so much every day but I guess that is to be expected with two little guys. Just when I think I have it covered, something new happens like a dropped nap or an independent thinker wants it his way. I like bogging because it reminds me of the milestones and what has been accomplished. Some days it seems like nothing but really it is so much. It is exhausting and difficult at times but worth it.

Bathroom break

Singing to Daddy

Dinner with the Doyle's
No comments:
Post a Comment